General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel pressure test 05 five hundred

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 08:52 PM
Default Fuel pressure test 05 five hundred

My 05 five hundred(V6 3.0) doesn’t have test port on fuel rail. Rent pressure gauge, try to hook it up but realized there is no adaptor for it. Looks like need fuel line quick fitting male. Does anyone know how to hook up and where to get the piece from?

Old 05-15-2020, 11:48 AM

The way fuel pressure is checked with your vehicle is with a scan tool that can produce the fuel pressure reading..

Old 05-15-2020, 02:13 PM

Oh okey. No wonder there is no test port. I have hook up tester and pressure is pretty stable at 40psi. Thank you for advise!

Old 05-20-2020, 12:15 PM

The fuel pressure tester should come with adaptors to connect in line with the supply line and the rail. Maybe check if you can rent a fuel pressure tester from another place with the right fittings. The PIDs do usually work but not if the fuel pressure sensor is bad.
What is the reason you are checking fuel pressure?

Old 05-20-2020, 01:09 PM

Thank you for reply. I have figured out how to hook up pressure gage. The reason why I want to check pressure because it will crank but no start sometime. It’s not at all the time so it’s difficult to find cause, I guess. I have replaced fuel pressure sensor, fuel pump, transfer pump, fuel filter.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:45 PM

So you have successfully checked fuel pressure with a manual gauge and it is with in spec, did you test this while the vehicle was not starting?
What happens when the vehicle doesnt start, it cranks/turns over but does not start.
Have you checked for spark?, I dont know why but I cannot pull up the wiring diagram. I believe this engine has a two wire coil on plug, you can unplug a coil and check if you are have voltage at wires on one of the coil connectors, you will have to do this when the vehicle is acting up of course and will need a second person.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:43 PM

It’s very difficult to see what is happening since it’s not happening at all the time. As far as fuel pressure goes, it should be built up good enough because I did start it many time in row (Try to get not start situation) so I think something else other than fuel. Yes, next up is spark but again, it’s tough to test anything since it doesn’t happen at all the time? To test voltage on the coil, can I test it with coil connected? I think that it have to be connected to simulate the non start situation but not sure I can test it that way.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:19 PM

Yeah thats the problem with intermittent faults. Does it not start multiple times in a row or does it not start the then start up when you try to start it again?
If its something that when broken stays broken for a little bit so you know it will not start multiple times in a row then you can unplug the coil and check if there is voltage, I dislike back probing which is what you would have to do to if you want to check voltage with it plugged in, it rather easy to damage the O ring seals on the connector that keeps water out of the circuit.
I know it sucks but try and figure out what leads to it not starting, when its a cold start, when its a hot start, after sitting for 30 minutes, an hour, ect. Being able to make the fault occur when you want will make diag 100 times easier, I spent over an hour trying to get a fault to occur yesterday on a customers car, still wont know when it will act up.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:14 PM

It’s random. I can’t figure out any pattern yet, I still can hear fuel pump working though. I’m start wondering that it’s something interrupts it at randomly. May be like inertia switch or some safety feature, cam shaft position sensor or something to shut off spark intentionally to protect engine. Do you have access to see firing diagram or something, to list up sensors possibly cause it for me?

Old 05-21-2020, 07:34 AM

I could post up all the wiring diagrams but without until you get it pinned down more thats not gonna help.
Why have you mentioned the fuel pump again? are you hearing the fuel pump turning on while the no start problem is happening? That would be somewhere to start at.

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure test 05 five hundred