General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel system cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Default Fuel system cleaners

I have been a Lucas products user for fuel system. But have heard ppl talking about Seafoam. Has anyone used this. I've heard some conflicting stories. Some swear by it, others disagree, saying that it will coaggulate in the lines. Stiffing and clogging. The ones that swear by it say it cleaned up their system great. I know I should stick to what has worked for me, but if there is something that might work better I'd like to give it a shot.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:05 PM

I have used a variety of cleaners. The question is what do you expect it to do?
Remove water? Typically there is enough ethanol in the gas so you don't need that.
Remove varnish? "Seafoam" containes naphtha which removes varnish. And dissolves some deposits, but not all kinds.
Remove deposits from the valves and combustion chamber? You need a product that contains PEA or polyether amine (techtron).

Use a top tier gasoline and you don't need any additives. If you have a driveability issue you may get a benefit from a fix in a bottle, but what is the problem you have?

Old 01-17-2012, 07:14 PM

Thanks for responding bluewind. I would just like to make sure there are no deposits that are corrupting the system. And that the injectors stay clean and clear. I have thought of using a higher octane fuel. Like Shell, which has detergents in it, but I have heard that engines are set to burn a certain octane, and by switching to a higher one will cause the engine to run hotter. A friend of mine tried a higher grade of fuel and the engine would ping, when he ran low on that tank he went back to the low grade and his engine ran fine. So I was just looking for some advice as to how to keep the system clean. Thanks again.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:50 PM

The best advice I can possibly give it to remind you that ALL the gas you EVER have in that tank get recirculated about every 45 minuets of driving. ALL of it.
The best thing (ESPECIALLY when using additives that dissolving varnish; and kudos to that) is to replace the fuel filter.
You'd be really surprised how dirty they get, and how fast. It also has the added benefit of making life much easier on the fuel pump, keeping it happily pumping away, instead of being ground up.
Just food for thought.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Eligee1
I have thought of using a higher octane fuel. Like Shell, which has detergents in it, but I have heard that engines are set to burn a certain octane, and by switching to a higher one will cause the engine to run hotter. A friend of mine tried a higher grade of fuel and the engine would ping, when he ran low on that tank he went back to the low grade and his engine ran fine. So I was just looking for some advice as to how to keep the system clean. Thanks again.
Eli: I never said to switch to higher octane fuel. I sad "top tier" fuel. Top tier fuel can be any octane. The difference is that it is a bit cleaner and has a certain type and amount of additives that keeps the engine internals cleaner. Go to a top name brand gas station (shell, bp, phillips 66, texaco etc) and look for a label that says "this is top tier gasoline".
The main additive that makes it top tier is PEA, polyether amine.
Some car manufacturers require the use of top tier fuel. Can you imagine who they are?

Old 01-18-2012, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by greasemark
The best advice I can possibly give it to remind you that ALL the gas you EVER have in that tank get recirculated about every 45 minuets of driving. ALL of it.
The best thing (ESPECIALLY when using additives that dissolving varnish; and kudos to that) is to replace the fuel filter.
You'd be really surprised how dirty they get, and how fast. It also has the added benefit of making life much easier on the fuel pump, keeping it happily pumping away, instead of being ground up.
Just food for thought.
Thanks, greasemark! I'll do that in all of our 3 vehicles when the weather get warmer. And I will open up the old filters to see what's in there.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:04 PM

Ford used to recommend Chevron Techroline as a fuel system additive around 2005. We have used it and have no problems. We also use 3M fuel cleaner at least yearly on our fleet.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by way2old
Ford used to recommend Chevron Techroline as a fuel system additive around 2005. We have used it and have no problems. We also use 3M fuel cleaner at least yearly on our fleet.
Exactly, old man. That's the original stuff with the chemical PEA.
Fuel Additives

blue

Old 01-18-2012, 08:08 PM

Oh ok. I got it. Misunderstood. Better quality fuel, not higher octane. Duh... Where I live we only have a couple of Shells and Chevrons. And I don't believe I've seen a Texaco. So I guess I'll stop off and top off at the Shell. Most of our stations get their fuel from the local refineries. And I don't believe they are top tier. Thanks for that. Thank you.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:30 PM

I used to work on my '95. The basics. When I bought it ten years ago, I checked and changed as needed, the plugs/wires, oil, brake pads, shocks, air filter and sensors,TPS, IAT, IAC, O2 and the PCV, just the small items. It was my first owned vehicle so I treated it like a baby. And wanted to make sure I was doing it all right. She ran great. Even drove to Maryland with the top loaded with luggage three adults and two fifty pound dogs. I live in south Texas. And thirty-one hours later we were in Aberdeen MD. No problems. The only thing was going through the Virginia Mts. on the way back she was sluggish. But we made it back to south Tx. just fine and I found out after I looked under the hood a spark plug wire had been resting on the valve cover and burned thru. So, we drove on five cylinders instead of six. There was no more than average fuel use. and the driveability only suffered in acceleration. That's why I have stayed with the Explorer. And asks questions. And thank you guys for the advice. Cus I really love the 2001. Just got to work at it like I did the '95. Just a little story of my experience.

Quick Reply: Fuel system cleaners