General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Helicoil, Timeserts, disc brake pins, oh my....

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Default Helicoil, Timeserts, disc brake pins, oh my....

Hi all,

New member, seeking some sage advice, hoping others have BTDT already <g>

93 Taurus. The two pins/bolts that secure/align the caliper to the steering knuckle on the front brakes, driver's side, decided to back out. One was completely gone, the other hanging by a few threads.... Went about 10K miles since the last brake job, and cannot come up with a good reason for them to back out, but nonetheless, they did. Only heard the noise a week ago, so until then, no sign of any problem....

The bottom pin, was happy to simply be replaced, and retightened, but the threads on the top pin, are stripped and stretched to where about the only place the bolt grabs, is on the bottom few threads. Not good.....

My limited understanding would be to drill and retap the threads, but I can't imagine where to find a bigger threaded pin, so I am thinking timesert, or helicoil? Never used either, not sure if they are the solution from a strength standpoint anyway.

Short of replacing the steering knuckle, anyone have any advice/comments/recommendations as to how I should proceed? I drove the car just enough to get it to the safety inspection station, where it passed, so now I can do the repair without stressing over getting it done by the end of the month....but I am sure not going to drive it with the one pin hanging on by only the few bottom threads, as the caliper moves quite a bit, with the pin not grabbing all the threads.

I web searched helicoils, and timeserts, and perhaps they would work, but found nothing on the cost. I get the impression that timeserts are only in kits, and that means expensive, to me <g>

Much obliged for some direction or words of wisdom.

Thanks,

Regards from Utah,

John