General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Holley carburetor problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Default Holley carburetor problem

Hi everyone, This is my first time posting on fordforum. I've have a 1963 f-100 that i've tinkered with for about 2 years cuz i don't really have the money or time to do much with it. It used to have a 351 cleveland in it but i didn't want to spend the money to have it totally rebuilt. It had cracked heads and i didn't even want to get into the rest of it. So i bought atruck with a390 for a couple hundred that worked and swapped it out because i like the body style of the '63. The 390 was originally hooked up to a 3 on the tree transmission but when i swapped it i hooked it up to an automatic c-6. So there's a bit of history for ya'll. My problem is the 4brl Holley carburetor thats on the 390. Like i said it worked fine before but when i changed transmissions and put the engine in the '63 it started to act up. It wouldn't idle right. So my dad, who has helped me through all the previous work because heused to work on his 76 high boy all the time when he was my age, suggested i go ahead and rebuild the carburetor. So I did. It's model number is 4160. I got a rebuild kit that works for either the 4150 or 4160 from my local carquest. During the rebuild i matched all the gaskets and parts up to make sure they were the same before re-assembling it. Everything matched up the same and I re-assembled it just the same as it came apart. It's been cleaned with carburetor cleaner and blown out by an air chuck with our air-compressor. I've gone over it twice now and i'm having problems with it running too rich. It's flooding itself to the point were gas comes out the top like it's totally bypassing the float or the float is stuck open. I've researched it and put all the adjustments on the carb to standard. Does anyone have an idea other than the float or does is sound like i need a new float. Any reply would be helpful, Thank You.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:18 PM
Default RE: Holley carburetor problem

Firstly you must have a fuel filter between the pump and the tank. I always have a second after the pump also. I sounds like you have a piece of junk caught in the needle and seat,I have seen needles jammed open by a tiny piece of fuel hose that was broken off when the hose was installed back onto the carb or fuel pump fittings. This happens especially if you don't have a correct fuel fitting and just push the hose ontoa cutoff fuel pipe. Take the fuel bowl off the carb and check for junk in there, completely remove the needle valve from the bowl and blow it clean and as a final check of all possibilities check that the float does not have a hole in it. If you have a brass or plastic float swap it out for a nitrophyll one, available at your parts store.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:04 PM

I planned on taking it apart tommorrow, so i'll check that out. Also i looked for one of those nitrophyll floats and their only 7 bucks or so, so i plan to get one of those. Thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:25 AM

Runnin like a dream now. Checked the needle valve and fuel lines but still had problems...So the rebuild kit i got was for a 4150 and 4160 model and it had extra gaskets and such. I checked the one on the main metering block because it was the only gasket i wasn't sure of cuz there were two and there wasn't much of a difference in them. I switched the gaskets, put the carb back on and the truck started up with a few pumps of the pedal. I feel like a dumb *** cuz it was that simple. LOL