General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ISSUE: SYNC 3 Map Updates (December 2019) - Map Quality Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 01:44 PM
Unhappy ISSUE: SYNC 3 Map Updates (December 2019) - Map Quality Issue

I'm seeing something very disturbing with the NA 1 18 map update just released in December 2019, and I'd recommend anyone considering the update to hold off since there are issues with quality of the maps.

HISTORY

I purchased our 2017 Edge Titanium new in 2017, the map version delivered with the vehicle was NA 1 15. I have updated the SYNC 3 versions as they have been released and I'm running the same version as you for SYNC 3, it's 19205.

I first contacted my dealer when I noticed several issues with the quality of the maps, missing roads, and more importantly outdated map information that could lead to a health/safety issue. Case in point, there was a hospital facility in my area "Google Memorial Hermann Fort Bend" that was closed in December 2006. The map clearly shows the facility in the NA 1 15 release and again in the NA 1 18 release. If there was an emergency someone might use the map information to find the nearest emergency room and find out that the locations is really a Lowe's Home Improvement. I don't know why a medical facility closed in 2006 would even be present on the maps in 2017 (NA 1 15 version).

The dealer told me that there would be a map update but didn't know when it was coming out and I would have to wait. In December 2019 I was notified of a map update, I went on the site you identified (not a Ford site but a Supply Chain Vendor of Ford) and purchased the update for $109 USD. I didn't opt for the additional $40 for the USB since I have had no problems updating using the standard download and copying the contents to a USB as directed. The update took about an hour and required a restart of the SYNC 3 by turning the car off and back on.

ISSSUE

I checked the version of software and maps, the SYNC 3 version was 19205 and the map version was NA 1 18. To my horror and surprise the hospital facility is still showing up on the maps. There are other issues with the map data such as missing roads and roads that physically connect but the maps does not indicate it. Google and Waze are correct.

REQUEST FOR REFUND

I contacted the following to get a refund since this is a functionality issued based on poor data quality of the maps and you cannot/should not use it for anything important.

1. Ford CRC (Customer Relations Center) - 888-392-3673: Talked with CEC, explained the issue and I wanted a refund, they told me it was a Navigation Customer Support issue and directed me to call 800-900-8458 for a refund.
2. Navigation Customer Support - 800-900-8458: Talked with the "answering service" and they verified my installation was correct but could not help with the map quality. They advised me that they were opening a case with their Map Care Support and should hear back. I emailed alommapcaresupport@alom.com detailing the issue and requesting a full refund.
3. I never received any type of reply from alommapcaresupport@alom.com regarding my request.
4. I called Navigation Customer Support again and told them I have not heard back from the support group, they advised me to call Ford CRC for a refund since they only assist with installation issues.
5. Ford CRC: Talked with CRC again and explained issue and that Navigation Support only helped with installation issues and that it wasn't a problem they could remedy and CRC would be able to issue a refund. CRC said they are not responsible for refunds and told me to contact Ford Sales (800-301-7430), Ford Marketing (800-334-4375) or write a letter to Ford Consumer Affairs. I requested them to open a case for tracking purposes which they did. (Ford: if you want the CAS number please contact me via this forum)
6. I Contacted Ford Sales, all they could do is give me marketing information regarding the new vehicles; contacted Ford Marketing, all they did was give me the number of CRC.
7. I called the CRC again and asked to escalate the case and speak with a supervisor. Only after asking several times was I finally put on hold and connected with a supervisor. The supervisor offered to open a case and refer it to a "Research Team" and they would contact me within 24 hours.
8. I finally heard back after 2 weeks, it was a voice mail telling me they weren't going to issue a refund for anything other than a functionality issue.

I called CRC back and told them this is a functionality issue, you can't use the map with a level of assurance that the map data is correct. I have requested an escalation (again) and I'm waiting to hear back.

For now, hold off on purchasing the upgrade. Use Waze, Google Maps, Garmin, etc until Ford gets the map vendor to update the information. It's a waste of your money and they don't want to refund money for a defective product.

What else can I do? Where else can I go to get a refund?

Old 04-25-2020, 07:15 AM

Looks like I’m not the only one going through this mess with the USB Sync 3 Navigation. I also went through the exact same steps with those same numbers & told they could not help. They apparently don’t know about the device but yet I ordered it directly from the Ford.com/accessories website 150.00 of junk! It listed under ALOM by receipt but is on the Ford website so you think it’s legitimate but evidently it’s not. Unable to get any assistance at any of the numbers inside the USB case provided. There is no number either to get any kind of Customer assistance with it. The USB Sync 3 map upgrade I ordered is useless. When I put my Vin number in the to check if my 2016 Sync Navigation is up to date on the Ford website it came back saying I needed a Map Navigation update. They provided the USB device for 150.00 which once I received it did nothing but give me constant error BMG code. So my only option now is to have to write directly to whoever ALOM is which only provided an address with no number. I’d suggest you take it directly to your Local Dealer and just pay for it there to be updated. I did not think this was going to be a rip off but it obviously is.... I’d stay away from the USB order! Good luck..