General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Lacking power

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Default Lacking power

Hi everyone,

I've just brought my wife a 52 reg mondo 2.0 TDCI with 69000 miles on the clocks.
It is severely lacking power and I had a local mechanic put it on a diagnostic computer and he told her it was a turbo boost problem, likely to be a boost sensor problem, I have looked through the Haynes manual and can't find it in there, has anyone got any ideas as to what could be causing this lack of power and flag up boost problems.

I am quite mechanically savvy so if anyone could help me out to figure this issue out that would be great, I was wondering if the CAT could be blocked and putting a back pressure into the turbo which could be slowing it down, just one thought I have.

I am going to do a service on the car in the next few days but really need to et the engine running to its full potential for her.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Regards

Rhys

Old 09-15-2012, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bag320
Hi everyone,

I've just brought my wife a 52 reg mondo 2.0 TDCI with 69000 miles on the clocks.
It is severely lacking power and I had a local mechanic put it on a diagnostic computer and he told her it was a turbo boost problem, likely to be a boost sensor problem, I have looked through the Haynes manual and can't find it in there, has anyone got any ideas as to what could be causing this lack of power and flag up boost problems.

I am quite mechanically savvy so if anyone could help me out to figure this issue out that would be great, I was wondering if the CAT could be blocked and putting a back pressure into the turbo which could be slowing it down, just one thought I have.

I am going to do a service on the car in the next few days but really need to et the engine running to its full potential for her.

Regards

Rhys
What yr. Mondeo?

Old 09-16-2012, 05:13 AM

Hi,

Thank you for your time, the mondeo is a 2002 model, 2.0 TDCI Zetec.

Cheers

Rhys

Old 09-16-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bag320
Hi everyone,

Regards

Rhys
Ok, 2002 model yr. Here are some hints.

To begin it could be a restricted fuel filter, clogged with dirt.

It may not have a turbo boost sensor. Instead a MAP Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor located behind the radiator on the intercooler pipework. See if your repair manual lists a MAP sensor for your engine.

A stuck open waste gate, will also cause no turbo boost. Waste gate is controled by vacuum, and solenoid activated. Waste gate is located on the turbo assembly. Note: vacuum on your diesel is produced by a vacuum pump.

Is your turbo a variable vane? If it is it will have an electrical connector on the front of the turbo. If it does the vanes may be sticking.

Malfunctioned EGR valve. Valve, and EGR manifold clogged with contaminates.

Absolutely, a clogged cat' will not allow the turbo to spool up. Iirc, the cat' is located right behind the turbo.

Does the car smoke at any time? If it does the turbo shaft bearings may be shot, and the turbo can't spool up. Here is a YT video of what I mean:

Hope this is of some help. Look forward to your reply.

Last edited by thexlo8ers; 09-16-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Default Sort of sortedh

Hi,

Thanks for your information, it has proven to be very helpful, the reason I had no turbo was due to split in the pipe coming out the bottom of the EGR valve, I replaced this and the turbo faults went, but they were replaced with an EGR valve fault and a misfire on cylinder 3, I'm guessing the turbo fault was a symptom of an EGR failure.

I will be replacing the EGR in the next few days and hopefully that will go a long way to sorting out the problem.

Once again a big thank you

Regards

Rhys