General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Looking to build 5.4l with big HP. need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:24 AM
Default Looking to build 5.4l with big HP. need help

I am building a sand rail and want to have a Ford for a powerplant. I am going to be hooking the motor up to a Mendeola Transaxle. This where I am nervous about taking on the 5.4l. Getting the adapterplate and all that is easy. I just dont know enough about the computers on these things and how to go about all that kind of stuff.

I found a few different 5.4L engines on Ebay for very reasonable prices. They come complete with harness and everything. For the rail all I need on the motor is a power steering pump and the alternator. No A/C obviously. The exaust needs to be basically open headers with no muffler or cat. This poses a problem with the O2 sensor I bet but not sure. One of the 5.4L I found is a 3V version and is the one I think I would rather go with.

So here is the kicker, I would like to either supercharge it or turbo it. I am thinking turbo as it would be easier on the transaxle but I have no idea where to start. Superchargeing it is deffinatly a consideration as well. I found a used vortech superchargerfor a 5.0 or 5.8 liter. I figure at most all I would need is a different bracket, build thepiping necessary for it and add a filter assembly of some sort. Is that doable?Is there someone, anyone that can help me with this? PLEASE PLEASE shoot me a PM with a phone number. I will be needing some of these parts so if your looking to make a little coin in a sale in exchange for little time in helping me with this project i am more than good with that so dont be shy.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:29 AM
Default RE: Looking to build 5.4l with big HP. need help

I guess I should also add, I am not against useing a 4.6L or a 5.0 either. I know parts are a little easier for these to find since they are in the mustangs. I should also add, if you got a motor like any of these mentioned you are looking to sell. Throw me a PM.