General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New here and need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Default New here and need some advice

Hello everyone,

My name is Meredith and I just bought a 1964 Ford F100 custom cab. I hate to sound uneducated because I'm not when it comes to many things, however, I'm now embarking on a new adventure...learning about hot rod maintenance. Maybe I should have picked something different to embark on but I like a good challenge. To me, all things automobile are a challenge, but only because I've never submersed myself in it like so many of you have.

Which leads me to why I'm here as well as my first question of many more to come:

There's a lot of play in the wheel. I've heard everything from "that's normal because of it's age" to "it's probably a worn steering shaft coupling".

Anyone have any advice for me on what I can do about this? It's kind of a pain in the *** when it feels like you're all over the damn road.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-M

Attached Thumbnails New here and need some advice-64-ford-351-v8.jpg  
Old 04-18-2013, 10:43 AM

Welcome to the sight maam, this is right up my alley for I know pretty much everything about them oldies but goodies F-100's the first thing I need to ask you is if that truck has the twin I-beam front end or does it have the strait axle? the strait axle has bit more play in the gear box even though they pretty much used the same steering box types for both. If there ain't any play in the tie rods. (you should always check them first) there should be an adjustment screw that's held in place by a lock nut all you need to do is loosen that nut a little and using a flat screwdriver turn the adjusting screw clockwise just a little to take out slack and tighten the gears in the gearbox just enough so that you don't put them in a bind. and retighten the lock nut.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site Meredith..

Nice rig! and very cool that you have a passion for old iron and doing your own work..

Being it looks customized, does it still have all its original suspension/steering components?
Still manual steering, not updated to power?

If so, then could be loose or tight (if replaced) king pins, excessive steering gear/box 'lash' (play) etc.

Steering gear wear would be common, and probably the first thing to check. If you can have a helper rotate/rock the steering wheel 'slightly' back'n forth and look to see if there is any excessive 'delay' in the steering gear input shaft movement, against the lower arm movement. There should be very little. Sometimes rotating the steering side to side slightly will point to loose components as well.

Lifting the front end and checking king pins for loose or tie rod ends would be part of an overall check, especially if prior work is unknown. Usually just grabbing the outer most part of the tire/rim and lifting up/down may expose loose king pins. Too tight if recently replaced (meaning spindle rotation is too tight) can make for a good wander as well. Large tires can magnify a moderate loose condition.. So will alignment issues.. Tires show any unusual wear?

Old 04-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Must'a posted at the same time

65 was the first year for twin beam, so should be a straight..

Last edited by Hayapower; 04-18-2013 at 11:07 AM.