General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Remote Start - 4 honks - Tach not programmed? Also, Hi!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 02:24 PM
Default Remote Start - 4 honks - Tach not programmed? Also, Hi!

Hello all!

Found this great forum after doing some googling and hoping you can help me out.

I have a 2012 Fusion Sport with Ford Factory remote start.

I tried to make it so the car would stay running when I open the door via this video: https://www.youtube....h?v=TJAE3Bnf7Js

I did all the steps necessary but when I click the remote start button at the end of the instruction steps car honks 4 times.

Then, when I try to start the car with the remote it honks 4 times...

Failed Attempt to Remote Start

When attempting a remote start of you vehicle, the system has several safety
checks that it performs. If any of these inputs are present that should not be, the system
will respond back to you with several horn alerts “honks” to help you indentify which
input is present. These “honks” will occur after initiating a start sequence with the
transmitter, the system will turn on the ignition, but then respond back with several horn
“honks” and abort the starting process. When this occurs, count the number of “honks”
and refer to the information below to correct the situation preventing a remote start. If the
vehicle attempts to start but stalls, depending on how the system was configured, it may
re-attempt to start after pausing 5 seconds, then re-attempting up to four times. If the
vehicle does not start after the fourth attempt, the system will abort the start process.

2 “honks” Brake is being depressed or the hood is open

3 “honks” One of the vehicles doors is open

4 “honks” Tachometer is not programmed – contact dealer

5 “honks” The key is in the ignition

6 “honks” The remote Start System is in Service/Valet mode

I'm tired of contacting the dealer (they're 2 hours away)

Has anyone run into this before? If so...do you know how I can resolve it? Thank you much!!!

-Mike