General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replacing COPs preventative maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Default Replacing COPs preventative maintenance

Is it advisable to replace the coil-on-plug modules on a preventative basis? Is it true that once one goes, they will all start to go?

I've got a 2000 EB Expedition, 5.4L, 153k, and the #4 COP died while i was on the road last week. The mechanic replaced with a new motorcraft COP and adivsed that i replace the remainder of the COPs at my next service. I need to replace the plugs anyway so i figure it would be a good time, but at $90 a COP, that is a lot of money.

Anyone have experience with any of the aftermarket COP modules? -- seem that some are half the price of the Motorcrafts.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:51 AM

The advantage of the COPs is that they run cooler than a MULTI-DISTRIBUTED coil pack. However, thay are still prone to age and enviromental breakdown.

My opinion and observations is this...

Normally, the aftermarket units are made by the same companys that manufactures the coils for Ford. However, even though a NON-Name brand coil MFG may be the OEM manufacture for Ford, there aftermarket unit may not have the same quality control applied to it. If going aftermarket, stay with a NAME BRAND unit.

I just ordered an ACCEL coil pack for my Freestar from www.jegs.com along with a set of genuine PACKARD plug wires from www.rockauto.com (only place I could fine the PACKARD wires).

Old 04-12-2010, 06:12 PM

A lot of times the coils are still good. The coil boots will burn a hole through it and cause a misfire.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:05 PM

Thanks for the info on the coil boot. The mechanic did mention that the boot was 'toast'. Maybe that was the problem all along and not the $90 coil pack. I assume you can buy the boot without the coil???? If i do go plugs and coil packs all around, should i go the full monte and do the ignition wires as well?

The plugs were changed at the 90k maintenance. I was going to do it myself this time, but given all i have read here and elsewhere about the propensity of the 5.4l to blow plugs and the difficulty getting to the back plugs, i've hesitated. I've changed plugs all my life in dozens of cars so am i just being a whimp? The only reason i'm thinking i'd need to change the plugs is that the engine has gotten to the point where it burns some oil so figuring the plugs are probably getting fouled.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:29 PM

The coil boots are the wires. Parts stores sell a complete set for about what one coil costs. You can change the plugs yourself. Just do not overtighten or leave the plugs loose. Ford had a bad design on plugs for these engines. Then in 2005, they made a worse change on plug design. So if you take your time, and get a universal joint to go with the little extension, you should be able to do it. But if you are not comfortable doing it, by all means have a professional do it. Good luck.