General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Sport Trac won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Default Sport Trac won't start

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and have a problem with my 2003 sport trac. Everything was fine, parked in my garage and went back 10 minutes later and it wouldn't start. No cranking at all, no clicking, jsu quiet. All the dash lights go on. I checked the voltage at the battery and it is 12.34 volts. Let it sit and tried several more times over the next 8 hours, but nothing. I checked all the fuses for the ignition system and they are all good. I pulled the starter relay and looks fine, but I'm not sure how to tell if it could be the problem. Any thoughts before I call a tow truck? Thanks,

Old 01-26-2021, 11:30 AM
Default ever figure out what it was

I have an 03 sport trac with the same issue. mine worked fine going to the store then went to go again and nothing no crank but the dash all lights up, battery is good, replaced the starter anyway. still nothing. all fuses look good and relays were switched.

Old 01-26-2021, 03:05 PM

So what happens when you turn the key to start?
Does the radio cut out to allow max amp to go to the starter?
When you say no crank I assume you mean there is no motion from the engine at all, is that correct?

How good are you with electrical diag?

Old 01-26-2021, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by scott.butler4
So what happens when you turn the key to start?
Does the radio cut out to allow max amp to go to the starter?
When you say no crank I assume you mean there is no motion from the engine at all, is that correct?

How good are you with electrical diag?
dash lights up like normal. Theft light goes off like normal. It's no crank. The starter does not engage. I already replaced the starter anyways cause it was original 116k miles. But still nothing. Yes the radio turns off when you turn to start position on the key last position. What was wrong with yours? I'm getting it towed in the morning to the mechanic unless I can figure this out. Lol

Old 01-26-2021, 07:15 PM

You should do a full vehicle fault codes scan using a higher end scan tool, not the $20 one on amazon.
Its not really worth speculating what could be wrong until fault codes have been checked.

I suppose if you want you can check the fuse and relay for the starter and also check the two power wires at the starter for voltage, big one should have 12V when key is turned to on, little one should have 12V when key is turned to start.
You could also get the trans out of park and shift it through all the gears then put it back into park and see if that changes anything, possible a bad range sensor.

Honestly its gonna be kindof hard to diag it thoroughly just tonight, since you said your towing it to a mechanic tomorrow morning.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:27 PM

You should do a full vehicle fault codes scan using a higher end scan tool, not the $20 one on amazon.
Its not really worth speculating what could be wrong until fault codes have been checked.

I suppose if you want you can check the fuse and relay for the starter and also check the two power wires at the starter for voltage, big one should have 12V when key is turned to on, little one should have 12V when key is turned to start.
You could also get the trans out of park and shift it through all the gears then put it back into park and see if that changes anything, possible a bad range sensor.

Honestly its gonna be kindof hard to diag it thoroughly just tonight, since you said your towing it to a mechanic tomorrow morning.
yeah bro, it might be just a15$ part but I can't diagnose it cause my scanner is just the 20$ one and reads 0 codes at fault. I did the trans shift thing already No luck. Did you ever end up fixing yours? What was the problem?

Old 01-26-2021, 09:18 PM

I dont have this issue due to not owning a sport trac. I am just trying to help you.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:43 AM

I dont have this issue due to not owning a sport trac. I am just trying to help you.
oh sorry. I thought you were the original poster. My bad. I been trying to figure it out out for days. Watching the guys on you tube and reading threads. But I see no signs of where it could be. Many of the videos have a 200$+ scanner to find the issue. I'm not going to get one of those. I'll just have to pay. Hopefully not too much. But I'm not the best at wiring diagrams so I guess it's money well spent at this point cause it's not a fuse or relay or battery or starter, imo

Old 01-27-2021, 10:44 AM

If you have a second key, you might consider trying the other key.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:23 AM
Default Starting Issue

I had an issue with my 2007 Sport trac this morning. Turned the key to lower the back window. I was loading a ladder. Forgot to turn the key off. While loading the ladder it started hearing a clicking noise. This was only about 3-5 minutes. Went to start and all I got was a fast clicking sound. Even after pulling the key out it continued with a slow clicking. Click Click--------------Click Click. Unhooked the battery thinking it may reset but no luck. The battery is good. Is there a security feature that I'm not aware of or do you guys have any ideas?

Quick Reply: Sport Trac won't start