General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

starting problem with 98 f150 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Default starting problem with 98 f150 4x4

PLEASE HELP!!!! Im having problems stating my truck. sometimes it will start and sometimes it wont.... its got a mined of its own.... it sounds like it is starving for fuel. ive checked the fuel pump that is good, battery connections are good, also i checked if i have spark and it seems that i dont. the fuel filter and air filter are good. and ive replaced both coil packs.also i do not have a check engine light on. im now out of thoughts. please help

Old 03-03-2013, 07:36 AM

It's pretty difficult to tell anything about fuel system performance without at least getting a pressure reading of pump performance. If you can, try to look into getting the correct gauge and actually seeing what you have as far as fuel pressure at various times.
Could you tell us how you determined you have spark at times and then not ?
What engine is in the vehicle? What have you replaced so far?
What is the current mileage?

Old 03-04-2013, 11:19 AM

The way I tested for spark was I took out one spark plug and put it to a spark plug wire next to metal and tried to start it and looked for spark. And it starts when it wants to. Iced changed out the coil packs and about 5 months ago I changed spark plugs and wires. The engine is a 4.6 v8. I am going to run fuel pressure test today

Old 03-04-2013, 11:26 AM

Also I replaced the engine last year in January 2012. The truck has about 200,000 but engine around 120,000 miles

Old 03-04-2013, 02:11 PM

You do have a few miles on that truck. If the fuel pump has never been replaced, it could be a candidate for a fuel pump.
The pressure test should shed some light on it's performance.
No spark is an entirely different matter.
The signal should originate at the crank sensor go to the ign module and then the PCM should control the timing of the spark signal at the coil.
At the time it won't start, does the check engine light go out or does it stay lit ?

Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 AM

I had the same idea about the fuel pump cause it has never been change. I did fix the no spark problem. It ended up being a connection issue concerning my grounds for the coil packs. So far I've had no problems with it starting since then, that might have been my problem this whole time. I didn't get the fuel pressure tested cause of that. Right now I'm going to wait and see if that was my only problem all together

Old 03-06-2013, 07:13 PM

Hey hanky,
I'm still having problems with it starting. I've checked the fuel pressure and its good, it's getting the normal amount of pressure. Right now I am at a loss. It's still starts when it wants to. ?

Old 03-06-2013, 07:32 PM

Can you help me, does the engine crank when trying to start or does not crank when you turn the key to the start position.
Also does it have a auto trans or stick?

Old 03-07-2013, 09:13 AM

The engine cranks but does not start. And I have a manual trans that is hydraulic. Also could u tell me a round about number of grounds for the engine compartment. I'm going to go ahead and chech those also. I want to make sure I get them all. If you know

Old 03-07-2013, 12:42 PM

Good ole Ford has ground connections all over the place to help losing ground paths.
If you start from the battery negative cable , check the inner fenders, usually one on each side, the firewall may have one or two, the headlamps usually have a ground wire or two, and the engine will have at least one to the sheet metal and of course the main ground cable from the battery itself. Take your time and just scan the engine compartment . Ground connections can look OK , but still be questionable. You need to loosen the bolt and retighten it and most of the time this will correct a high resistance connection. Sometimes when others work on the vehicle they don't reconnect all the ground wires.
When it doesn't want to start do you still have the no spark condition?

Quick Reply: starting problem with 98 f150 4x4