General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

suspension swaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Default suspension swaps

I am restoring a 1954 Ford Ranchwagon and want to upgrade the suspension and brakes. I have seen the Crown Victoria Aluminum crossmember suspension swaped into F100's and it looks like it would work for my '54 too. I would like to find basic dementions such as frame width at mounting points (max width between spring towers), Width at hub flanges, static higth from top of crossmember to ground with stock wheels and tires. As many dementions as possible to help me measure for fit. I may also be interested in installing the 4.6 L V8 along with this suspension platform. Also, I have looked into mounting a Linclon Mark VIII IRS under the rear of the '54 and it looks like it will work too, but the wheel bolt paterm is five on 4.25" rather than the standard Ford five on 4.5". Is there a way to put 4.5" hubs on the Mark VIII unit OR Mark VIII front hubs and rotors on the Crown Vic spendles? I definatly have to use the positive offset (stock type) wheels on the rear to make it fit into the '54's fender wells (68" absolute max) and I'm not finding dementions on the Crown Vic's widthe for the front. I have also heard that some have used IRS from some Explorers which I think have the more standard five on 4.5" hubs, but I need dementions on those units too. Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks

Old 10-12-2011, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by RonBaugher
I would like to find basic dementions such as frame width at mounting points (max width between spring towers), Width at hub flanges, static higth from top of crossmember to ground with stock wheels and tires.
Not sure if this will help a lot, but it may be a starting point: Ford used to edit the so-called "spec" books for each car they were making. These books should have all the geometry, fill quantities and you-name-it info about that car. Here's one example:

1980 FORD F100 F250 F350 BRONCO ECONOLINE SPEC BOOK | eBay

I'm not sure if these books are still being printed, but there's a good chance you can find some good info about more recent MYs online from motorcraft.com or fleet.ford.com (for a fee, of course )

HTH ...

Cheers,
cougar_fan