General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

title problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Default title problems

hi ,im farily new to this sight eventhough ive been a ford man all my life ,i own a 96 mustang gt about 3 months ago a deer shack fell off a truck and i drove my mustang through it,well it smashed the hood ,front fender,windshield,bumper cover ,and headlights,id didnt set off the airbags.the insurance company said it was a total loss so they paid it off ,i bought it back from insurance and bought all new parts to put it back together.well i called my insurance and went to insure it again and they said they cant insure it becouse it now has a salvage title .i still have the green title and it is signed off and clear ,i wasnt told that i had to surrender my title.is there any way of getting around a salvage title.ps.also own 2001 ford ranger edge 4x4,and a 2005 ford escape 4x4.thanks

Old 03-04-2008, 01:47 AM
Default RE: title problems

Maybe your present insurance company doesn't want to insure it, but you should still be able to get it insured. I don't know what state you are in, but I have a friend that had a car with a salvage title insured here in Iowa. The car had to be inspected by the state after repairs prior to being able to get the license plates. Hereare some regs from Massachusetts:
Salvage Title —
A Salvage Title is issued on a vehicle damaged to the extent that the cost of repairing the vehicle exceeds ~ 75% of its pre-damage value. This damage threshold may vary by state. Some states treat Junk titles the same as Salvage but the majority use this title to indicate that a vehicle is not road worthy and cannot be titled again in that state. The following eleven states also use Salvage titles to identify stolen vehicles - AZ, FL, GA, IL, MD, MN, NJ, NM, NY, OK and OR.