New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

1995 Ford Taurus Single Cam 3.0 – Stalls/quits running

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Default 1995 Ford Taurus Single Cam 3.0 – Stalls/quits running

1995 Ford Taurus Single Cam 3.0 – Stalls/quits running.
Starts and runs just great for 145k car. Running down the road or @ a stop light etc. the car just shuts off like someone turning off the ignition key. All indicator lights in the dash come on then shut off and engine quits. Happens ONLY @ normal operating temps. Cold cycle is fine. It is not time dependent. It does not happen @ the same “warm up temp” every time but does happen EVERY time the car is driven. I have not check for any codes. (It is ODB 1). No check engine light remains lit before/after the incident. Engine does crank over during the no-start/re-start period but, fails to start. Can NOT re-start car until it cools off for 20 or more minutes. After that, it starts right back up on first turn of the key and is drivable until engine temp builds and @ some point it will stall out.
In the NO-START MODE = I hear the fuel pump come on & pressurize when attempting to re-start and have check for fuel @ the test port on the fuel rail. I have not done a fuel pressure test. I have verified spark @ ONE spark plug but, because of the nature of WHEN the problem occurs, along side of the road, trouble shooting is difficult. Also, there is relay of some shorts under the flat plastic fan shroud that has all the warnings and engine info/decals on it, above the two cooling fans,, that vibrates severally for a few short seconds after releasing the ignition switch back to the “run” position from the attempting to starting position, then it stops.
Parts replaced so far that others have recommended from similar cases as this one are:
Ø Ignition coil, thinking this is in the hot spot/center of the engine. No change>still stalls out
Ø Exact case description from same year/engine was to replace the Distributor Control Module mounted on the outside of the distributor. No change>still stalls out.
Ø All tune up items replaced @ 106k, plugs, wires, Dist. Cap, Fuel filter (last week>opened old one up and checked>clean).

Old 12-11-2008, 06:27 AM
Default RE: 1995 Ford Taurus Single Cam 3.0 – Stalls/quits running

I have exactly the same problem with my Scorpio MK1 (or Granada Scorpio as it is also called) and this is really getting on my nerves. I changed all the filers, the IACV, the TPS, bt my car shows exatcly the same simptoms as yours. IN addition, my engine also stalls when I corner and the engine is idling.

I was thinking that the fuel pump may be faulty.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:07 PM

what you did to fix it?