New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

are antique fords welcome? 1982 and 1970

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Default are antique fords welcome? 1982 and 1970

The first ford i ever owned is my 1982 country squire wagon 302 engine 92,000 miles. A wonderfully reliable dependable old car.
My 2nd ford is my beloved 1970 300 econoline motorhome camper "Balboa" body. 302 engine. Its my birthday present to me this year. I have waited all my 52 yrs to own a motorhome this beloved ford came through.
As it turns out i guess i want to and need to tow the country squire behind the camper. The squire weighs 5,000 pds the camper weighs 6,000.How well will the ford camper tow please?? I hear the Ford 302 engine is a monster of strength. The camper has a 302 with a load flight 3 speed auto transmission. It is built on an econoline chassis.I really would like to think that any vehicle has to be able to tow 2 or 3 times its own weight. I'm a worrier but i'd rather research and consult that blow out my investments!
Thank youeverybody for now!

Old 06-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: are antique fords welcome? 1982 and 1970

Welcome to the site..

And yes, older Fords are absolutely 'Welcome' here. Without'm, the newer ones wouldn't be here!

What are you towing the wagon on? Flat trailer, enclosed, dolly? I'd think the 302 might strain a tad to pull the combined weights, more so if your pulling it with another fewK+ of car trailer.. Depending on grade/s encountered, location/altitude, temps, as well as personal gear/load in the RV all would contribute how the available power would spent.. I think it would pull it, but may run out of power from time to time..

Old 06-02-2008, 09:46 AM

Hayapower thank you!UGH I though i had included everything but when you inquired HOW i will tow the wagon I never gave that a thought.
First the old camper dosent even have a tow package....yet......but once it does I will tow with either a "dolly" or tow bar.No offense to anyone:I personally dont believe in covered trailers or flat beds. I'll just start the wagon in tow and let it idle to keep the trans cool.
So again I'll tow the old wagon with either a tow dolly (2 tires) or a tow bar.The campers engine runs on synthetic oil so i dont know if i need a an oil cooler but i will definetly have a trans cooler on the camper. So what are your thoughts now please?
I have a thought that the wagon iskind of border line too much. I have a smaller .......well a 1980 dodge diplomat with a slant six. That car is smaller and so has to be lighter but it sadly is not safe enough, has front end troubles.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:36 PM

Hi. If you are using a dolly, place it under the rear wheels and you won't have to worry about the transmission. That will allow the steering to be locked also and not damage anything. As Hayapower stated, the van may run low on power if climbing hills. Glad to see you on the forum. Welcome.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:30 PM

Hey now i can be grateful to "way to grow old" something like that?? The comment i am reading is losing power up hills. I'm sure that means that the trans will downshift the engine will race so i cant push the camper too hard when hill/mountain climbing. sighhhhhhhh the camper hunt took most of my years but intensified after kim and i met. Now i have the long awaited for camper......whooooooooh the growing aches and pains i'm having.........I need to get a small car!