New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Trying to identify what vehicle Trans came out of

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 08:51 AM
Default Trying to identify what vehicle Trans came out of

My father in law, gave me a transmission to put in my sons 1963 Ford F100. The Truck has a 289, with a 280 cam. He originally said that the Transmission was a C4. After a little more looking, I believe it's a C5. The input shaft seems a little bigger, and has a bevelled out section in the middle. It has a push in Vaccum Modulator, and the vent is on top. It also has an O, on the control cover. I've looked everywhere to match the ID characters on the Trans Tag and haven't had any luck. I need to go through the Transmission, but want to make sure I get the right parts. I'll also need to get the right torque convertor, since the C4 that came out was a 24 spline with a 6 1/4" deep bellhousing. This transmission came with a deeper bell, unless I can swap the shallower bell out? Any help anybody can offer in shedding some light on what this trans came out of and what specs i should move forward as i search for parts will be greatly appreciated. I've attached the tag that was under ome of the Trans Pan bolts, and a pic of a small tag that was under the pan. Please advise.

Old 08-21-2022, 11:01 AM

I am unsure of the tag codes. Looking in my 1982 shop manual, I do not see your model prefix of PEP AC listed among all C5 prefixes.

The bell housing is not integral to the transmission. It is bolted onto the transmission case.

They are very similiar except the C5 had a centrifugal locking torque converter. Bolt pattern for the pan (11 bolt) is identical between a C4 and C5. The pan on a C5 is deeper the a C4 to accomodate the deeper valve body and filter. If you remove the pan, the C4 has a reusable metal screen for the filter. The C5 has a very fine non reusable filter with a mounting screw right in the middle of it.
That's the best I can do. If you had a picture of the pan removed showing the filter mounted on the valve body, I can ID it.

Last edited by raski; 08-21-2022 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-21-2022, 11:59 AM

Here's a pic of the filter.. Back to your reply on the PEP, I saw a lot of PEB myself, but never saw PEP. I'm guessing, as long as it's a C5 rebuild kit, that everything should be fine? That's the tough part about ordering parts off line, and making sure you get the right one. Do you have any personal recommendations on who I should order from? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.