Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Ford 350 or Dodge Ram 3500

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 01:55 AM
Default Ford 350 or Dodge Ram 3500

I have been a dodge owner now since 1983. I'm about ready for a new truck one ton Quad, Diesel, SRW, 8' Box, 4X2, Automatic. I was at the auto show this past week-end in Denver and had the chance to see all makes. I don't like the chevrolet, but was impressed with the ford. I sure would like to know from past dodge 3500 owners whom have moved to ford if there are any regrets. If you had the chance of switching back to dodge, would you do it, or is ford the best thing you have done. I will be pulling a heavyT
5th wheel camping trailer (36 Ft). Thank You In ADVANCE
for all your advices.

Clem

Old 04-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Default RE: Ford 350 or Dodge Ram 3500

Clem,
I'm not a Dodge owner switch to Ford, but I've worked for many years at RV shops. For years we recommended the Dodge for the Commins engine, but when Ford came out with the Powerstroke and we had a chance to drive it, we started recommending the Ford. Now thats been a few years back and I understand Ford changed the Powerstroke some sense then. Dodge had a problem with the transmission lines quick dissconnect when pulling heavy loads. They would melt come loose and dump the ATF, but they fixed that way back. Both trucks are closely matched, the Dodge with a little more HP, the Ford in my opion (my biased .02) has a better feel when hauling, just seems to have more comfort.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:15 PM

Simple fact’s 18 wheelers don’t come with V-anythings as motors there all in-lines. Cummings is the best diesel motor available in any pickup. Did you know Ford used Cumming diesel in some of their older pickups? As far as gas mileage, I’ve had better mileage out of the Cummings. The Cummings will pull better (depending on transmission’s you compare to one another). They both ride good. They both use the NV4500 standard transmissions. Dodge biggest down fall is their auto transmission (don’t over work them they will fail!!!) and their a/c systems just don’t keep up on a 95 + degree day. Ford can be hoped up to out perform most diesels in a quarter mile run. They both have their pluses and minis so the real question is what are you going to use the truck for and could you see yourself driving the Ford?

Old 04-08-2005, 02:25 PM

Will they you go..........clemaube..........Ford to Dodge guy Skip says the 18er V-nothings is better.
?could I see myself in a Ford.................Yeap everyday!!!!!!!

Old 04-11-2005, 12:00 PM

Not a Ford to Dodge guy, but someone who would like to see the best of both come together. I own a 90 Ford F150 4x4. Also do you know Toyota is going to release a 1 ton and a ¾ ton Tunrdra diesel (inline) in the next few years supposable by 2007? That will give us more to talk about on comparison and yes I own 4 Toyota trucks 67 Fj40 with a 91 Corvette motor and a sm420 trans, 1984 4runner 22r lifted 4” and lock with 200+hp, 85 truck with 22re turbo locked cut and 35” tires and my wife’s 90 4 runner 3” lift 18” wheel travel on 34’s and 3vz motor at 245+ hp. So cctxfish if you want to call me something call me a Toyota Man. Just playing I like anything that’s 4 wheel drive as long as you’re willing to take it off road.

Old 04-11-2005, 02:17 PM

Good enough for me Skip,,,,,,,,,but I'd like to see them (Japan, Korea, Tiawan, etc.) allow us to sell over there US product too. Maybe its just me but I see an inbalance there. I've been to some of these countries before and all you see is their stuff, and some guy saying he'd like to own a Harley, corvette, or F350 4X4 diesel (F350 LOL think the guy just was tired of the traffic, and wanted up and over power ).

Old 04-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Administrator

i am biased, obviously....but i have a few friends with dodge diesels, and ford diesels....i drag race, and pull my trailer with a ford gas engine now, but i have a dodge before...we have a ford now simply because we found a good deal on a MUCH bigger ford drive motor home...the dodge was too small inside...at 8 feet shorter..

the ford motor home is heavier, because of the added length, and it has a gas 460...but the dodge, with a 440, would outpull the ford hands down. the ford, on the other hand, gets much better gas mileage...MUCH....but id have to say, that with the added weight and length, it is comparable to the dodge....my only complaint is that we have had constant fuel delivery issues with the ford, but we think we have gotten it fixed now...the 460 was sucking down so much fuel, that the fuel pump was getting so hot it would vapor lock the fuel as it pumped it...it was a nightmare...a 28 foot motor home with a 15 foot trailer on the back, vapor locking...but we put a holley high volume pump on there now...i do, however, see ALOT of the powerstrokes towing drag cars, even at all mopar or all chevy events...

and at my home track, there is a guy with a screamin' powerstroke F350 that he drags...its sick.

Old 05-03-2005, 01:18 PM

One big difference is that the Ford diesel has a five speed auto tranny and the dodge only has an old four speed tranny. Motor trend did a comparo on the big three diesels and the Ford won, followed by the GMC Sierria and the Dodge Ram.

Old 05-03-2005, 02:52 PM

For a motorhome I'd like something like the Holiday Rambler diesel pusher

Old 07-03-2005, 08:21 AM

I'm a Ford lover but I'd recommend the Cummins with the manual tranny unless you go used, then go for the 7.3L PSD. Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: Ford 350 or Dodge Ram 3500