2003 Lincoln Towncar Signature

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 05:43 PM
Exclamation 2003 Lincoln Towncar Signature

Hello,
Recently purchased low milage, superior condition, top of the line Towncar. However, now that the weather is hot, I'm using the air conditioning and just learned this model/year had an issue with a "musty/moldy smell coming from the air-conditioning vents."

I'm looking for a viable mechanical solution. If this was engineered, it can be re-engineered.
(PLEASE do not suggest I spray Lysol in the vents, leave the doors open parked in the sun, etc.)

Does anyone have experience with this, or better yet a solution?
I would love to hear from you

Sincerely,

Signature_Towncar

Old 05-04-2022, 06:11 PM

Not aware this was a common problem with them.

What you might look for,
moisture that either is getting into the duct work or moisture that can't get out of it.
This is where a good analytical mind comes into play and sounds like you have it.

Band aid fixes don't last and really are only temporary.
If the evaporator drain cannot drain when the A/C is used , it will eventually get moldy and musty. That might be a good place to start. Usually it is located on the passenger side in the engine compartment.up against the firewall.
. Cabin air filters are worth checking also. Let us know what you find,thanks.
If the vehicle is parked where leaves can get into the air intake of the fresh air duct, they will decompose and produce a musty odor and will need to be cleaned out.

Old 05-04-2022, 07:23 PM

Thank You Hank!

OK I'll check the fresh air duct, evaporator, then work back from there. Good idea. (I'm not sure where it was parked, I bought it off a dealer a few days ago, so she just started talking to me, if you will.) Unfortunately, the cabin air filter isn't available in 2003...

And yeah, from what I'm learning, the 2002-2004 models had this issue, then was rectified by 2005. SO I figured I'll rear-engineer it right!

Anyway, I'll start off easy with the fresh air duct, but will do research and take my time if I have to start cleaning out cabin ducts, blower, etc. But I will let you know when I'm done for sure.

Thanks again!

Old 05-05-2022, 04:58 AM

We would appreciate hearing from you as to what you found and what you did to correct the ,,,,,,,,problem? Thanks.

Old 05-07-2022, 12:12 AM

Hanky, alright I think I got it!

First things first, I purchased the Haynes manual (digital/printed) and immediately researched cowl removal, fresh air intake, evaporator drain, evap access, heater core/blower fan etc... I gathered all information and tools then slept on it.

Hanky, you were right, the fresh air intake was stuffed with leaves. On this model the cowl splits 60/40 to access the air intake/evap. However, after seeing the leaves, I removed the entire cowl and found it full of leaves. (BUT, it did not smell like mildew.)

Next, I removed the top cover of the evaporator housing and voila' the musty smell.
I used a friends "Teslong" borescope and looked down the side of the fins to the bottom of the plastic housing...clean. Then I inserted the scope into the drain from the bottom...clean. If there was any mildew it was between the fins.

(Somewhere on this forum, I read that someone suggested spending good money on a mildew/odor issue on a vehicle and they are right. I purchased a mold/mildew cleaner by "303" (Part #30573) non-aerosol, expensive but very effective.)

With the top cover off the evap housing, and engine off, I completely saturated the evaporator. I sprayed down between each and every fin, the lid, the sides, everything. I used half of a 16oz bottle on this process.

Then I replaced the top to the evaporator housing, turned on the engine and put the fan on high, fresh air only. I then misted the 303 cleaner into the fresh air intake screen for about 10 minutes. Then I switched to A/C for 10 min, misting 303, then heater for 10 min until bottle was empty, then fresh air for 5 minutes. (While I did this, I alternated between, defrost, vents, feet...etc.)

I took my time and idled for approx. 25 minutes. I had all 4 doors open at the time and left them like that for a few hours after, while I buttoned everything up. After sometime, I rolled up the windows, closed the doors then left a Maguires odor/mildew control car bomb (New Car Smell) in it over night (I did not follow the directions on the can...I just left it there until morning.)

The next day I opened all 4 doors for 1 hour then drove around, alternating between a/c, heat and fresh air....
Musty smell is GONE!

It has only been one day yes, but cleaning out the fresh air screen and treating the evaporator with mildew cleaner did it. THEN the car bomb. I don't mild car bombs and sunshine, but only After the cause has been identified.

My friend and I believe the vehicle was parked with the nose facing down, under a tree, thus collecting leaves and not allowing the evap to drain from the back. This 19 y/o vehicle has very low mileage and only 3 door dings! Immaculate car. SO, if it was just sitting around a lot, and collecting water....

Anyway, I'm so stoked! I just couldn't live with a mildew smell in the vehicle. If the Maguires car bomb doesn't take, then I'll have the carpet/headliner professionally cleaned, but I think it will be ok.

Also, I read on this forum a mechanic suggested to turn off the a/c and put the fan on high a mile or two before you reach your destination. I will be doing that also. If I have any further issues i will let you all know. I have a few "next step" ideas but not need yet, if ever.

Hope this helps anyone with a musty odor from their vents!

Peace

Old 05-07-2022, 07:46 AM

Thank you for the info and update. Always nice when everything goes well, thanks.