PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

1997 Eddie Bauer Expedition Whole Vehicle or Individual Parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Default 1997 Eddie Bauer Expedition Whole Vehicle or Individual Parts

Hey Guys!

Story is I have a 1997 Expedition 5.4L 4x4 Eddie Bauer Edition vehicle that is in great condition.

I am new to the forum, but I wanted to get this out there as soon as possible. I recently put brand new brake lines on my 1997 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L, and that went well. Then in an attempt at changing the spark plugs, I found that one had seized together. I spent weeks attempting to get this out, using every possible technique and nothing worked. Eventually the threads broke from the rest of the plug. I now have threads stuck in the third cylinder on these pain in the *** engines. I brought it to a good friends shop, but he did not have any luck either. I don't have the money to spend to take the head off and get it fixed that way, so since the car is in great condition, minus that one issue, I have decided to either sell the car as is. The car itself is pretty damn nice and I am sad to have to do this, but I need to purchase a new car and definitely need the money. Just leave replies if you are at all interested. You can also email me at bm.kenyon@gmail.com. I can get pictures of the vehicle, just ask. The car has 198,000 miles on it, but has never had any other issues. I have all the paperwork from the past. The Kelley Blue Book value is $5500-6000, that is of course with that third cylinder normal. I am flexible with how much to sell it for, but you will have to arrange shipping/pickup, since as is you wont want to drive it very far. I live in Connecticut. Just contact me for anything else you would like to know. Thanks!

Old 03-13-2008, 01:40 AM
Default RE: 1997 Eddie Bauer Expedition Whole Vehicle or Individual Parts

I could remove it from the cylinder for about $20. You must not be very educated in repair work. Besides - all new engines are mostly the same. If they use an aluminum head they are especially prone to this no matter what company makes it. Anti-seize on the spark plugs when installing new ones will usually prevent this (worth the extra 50 cents for a small packet). What you're saying is the plug broke in half and the bottom end is still threaded in - not that the whole plug came out minus the threads - correct? Either way I have two methods to remove a halved one. Minus the threads - just pull the top threadinwardand wind it up inward while you spiral it downand it shouldcollapse out - or thread tap. Either way it's another reason I prefer old Fords - less messing around and less parts equals less pain in the butt.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:36 PM

All that is left in the cylinder are the threads. What happened to the plug was that at some point when attempting to get it out using several methods, the plug broke and everything came out, and it just left the threads threaded in the cylinder. We tried using easy outs also to hopefully catch the thread, but to not put it in to deep as to knock any metal into the cylinders. It actually broke this nice easy out we had. Its a 1997 with a 5.4L Triton and its a pain in the *** to work on. It's in the third cylinder. The really only way we could think to get it out without removing the head and such would be to drill it out, which could ruin the entire thing. At this point it wasn't worth my time because we spent so much on it in the first place. I am not quite getting what you are saying though, how could you get it out that easily?

The truck also has 200,000 miles on it! And it hasn't been driven consistent in like 2 years, so yeah. But the truck is in great shape minus this incident that happened. Let me know.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:47 PM

Also the head is still on the car. I would know how to handle it if we took the head off, but it is not worth it at this point. There is also a broken piece of easy out sitting with the plug threads from when it broke. Sorry I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:18 PM

anyone interested?

Old 04-03-2008, 10:19 AM

what color is the interior?

Old 04-05-2008, 07:20 PM

the interior is tan. i think i mention it in one of my posts.