Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Step in and let's talk about it.

1977 F100 tire feathering.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 11:55 AM
Default 1977 F100 tire feathering.

My 77 f100 goes thru front tires like candy. I have kingpins and was wondering if I should even look at those or look elsewhere. I did jack it up and there was some play when I used a crow bar to lift under the tires. What all should I replace? I know I have broken shock absorbers and I may replace coil springs because I don't know how to check if they are bad. My shock absorbers can spin freely and have eaten the hole that they go through up. The tires are feathered on both front tires from center to outer

Last edited by swinstead77; 08-27-2022 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-27-2022, 03:22 PM

You really need to have a front end inspection done, worn parts replaced and a front end alignment. Without pictures it is difficult to visualize. Feathering across the tread surface is typically a toe problem. This is likely due to worn parts (probably tie rods).. Its a waste of time doing an alignment until all worn parts are replaced.

Springs are first visually checked to make sure they are not broken. If they are intact, then the ride height is measured and compared to specs.A manual likely will be needed. You can't go by thinking the truck is level. Being a 77, it is possible that all four springs are sagging. Ride height affects alignment as well.

Last edited by raski; 08-27-2022 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-27-2022, 05:56 PM

From the feathering you describe, that is the result of excessive toe in. Look under the vehicle for a bent arm within the steering linkage.

Old 08-27-2022, 07:02 PM
Default Twin I beam?

Looks like these bushings are bad. Is this a twin i beam?
Trying to add photo but it's not showing up

Last edited by swinstead77; 08-27-2022 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Picture added
Old 08-27-2022, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by raski
You really need to have a front end inspection done, worn parts replaced and a front end alignment. Without pictures it is difficult to visualize. Feathering across the tread surface is typically a toe problem. This is likely due to worn parts (probably tie rods).. Its a waste of time doing an alignment until all worn parts are replaced.

Springs are first visually checked to make sure they are not broken. If they are intact, then the ride height is measured and compared to specs.A manual likely will be needed. You can't go by thinking the truck is level. Being a 77, it is possible that all four springs are sagging. Ride height affects alignment as well.

Thanks. I believe I will go get it inspected before I try to buy anything. May be a bent I beam because the front crossmember is bent in a little on one side.

Old 08-28-2022, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
From the feathering you describe, that is the result of excessive toe in. Look under the vehicle for a bent arm within the steering linkage.
We are talking fractions of an inch. A bent drag link would change much more than that. The tire would likely be screaching on the pavement and the vehicle barely drivable.

Last edited by raski; 08-28-2022 at 04:04 AM.
Old 08-28-2022, 07:20 AM

It doesn't have to have a large bend , just enough to throw the toe off. If it was a large bend , it would eat up tires pretty quick. That is the result of the tires scuffing.

Have set many after replacing bad tie rod ends.

Old 08-28-2022, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
It doesn't have to have a large bend , just enough to throw the toe off. If it was a large bend , it would eat up tires pretty quick. That is the result of the tires scuffing.

Have set many after replacing bad tie rod ends.
I can look at the tires from the front of truck and see them sitting at an angle. I believe it's called cambered. Not sure

Old 08-28-2022, 01:33 PM

Yes, it is called camber. Depending on just how much in and out movement you noticed will determine if you need to replace the kingpins and bushings.

I can tell you from doing many of those kingpin jobs on those I beam trucks, it can be a real stinker. There is a special portable hydraulic press that you will need to get the kingpins out if they are original. You are not supposed to use any heat to get them out. Even with the press when they finally break loose, it will certainly get your attention.
Something you might look over and that is the radius rod bushings that sit just behind the back of the front wheels. If the rubber bushings are extremely worn it allows the threaded post on the end of the radius rod to elongate the hole and now if bad enough the mounting has to be replaced and maybe the rod as well. It can be quite job and the bolt that holds the holds the bottom of the spring to the I beam has to be removed. The chassis has to be supported on stands so you can let the I beam down to replace the radius rod.Lets hope you don't need to get involved in this.

Old 08-28-2022, 01:45 PM

I believe I need coil springs, kingpins, radius arm bushings, shock absorbers and maybe even axle pivot bushings and tie rod . Looks like a lot of money about to be dished out. Tires and alignment also. May be cheaper just to find another truck 😂

Quick Reply: 1977 F100 tire feathering.