Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Step in and let's talk about it.

1977 F100 tire feathering.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Yes, it is called camber. Depending on just how much in and out movement you noticed will determine if you need to replace the kingpins and bushings.

I can tell you from doing many of those kingpin jobs on those I beam trucks, it can be a real stinker. There is a special portable hydraulic press that you will need to get the kingpins out if they are original. You are not supposed to use any heat to get them out. Even with the press when they finally break loose, it will certainly get your attention.
Something you might look over and that is the radius rod bushings that sit just behind the back of the front wheels. If the rubber bushings are extremely worn it allows the threaded post on the end of the radius rod to elongate the hole and now if bad enough the mounting has to be replaced and maybe the rod as well. It can be quite job and the bolt that holds the holds the bottom of the spring to the I beam has to be removed. The chassis has to be supported on stands so you can let the I beam down to replace the radius rod.Lets hope you don't need to get involved in this.
The front crossmember is bent in some. It's not touching the I beam but it looks like it hit a stump or something. I wonder if I could remove the I beans and beat it straight with a sledge hammer or maybe use a come along???

Last edited by swinstead77; 08-28-2022 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-28-2022, 03:32 PM

This goes back away so can't be sure how much room you have to work with, but removing and reinstalling I beams is a lot of work.

You might need to have a frame straightening shop look it over . If the squareness of the frame has been compromised most alignment figures will be altered also..

Old 08-28-2022, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
This goes back away so can't be sure how much room you have to work with, but removing and reinstalling I beams is a lot of work.

You might need to have a frame straightening shop look it over . If the squareness of the frame has been compromised most alignment figures will be altered also..

Which order should I do the front end?
1Tires
2.bushings, kingpin, etc3. Frame check/ crossmember
​​​​​4.alignment????????????

Or take it for inspection first then what order?
it would probably need bushings in first before they can even tell what else it needs right?

Last edited by swinstead77; 08-28-2022 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-29-2022, 01:09 AM

I would get an inspection to see how much money will be leaving your wallot..

With a bent cross member/frame it may not be possible reach get the front end wheel angles in spec without repairing that too. Do not get tires until the front end is fixed first. You may decide to sell it instead of repairing. You sure don't want to sell it with new tires.

If the truck has rust, you might be better off selling it instead of dumping a lot of money into it.

Last edited by raski; 08-29-2022 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:39 AM

A good alignment place will not try to do an alignment with questionable tires. You have a lot of getting estimates to do and deciding if t is all worth it as raski suggested.

Once you have the amounts of $$$ it will take to get it straightened out, will usually help you make a good decision.