Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

98 Windstar w/ factory towing package weights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Default 98 Windstar w/ factory towing package weights?

I have a 1998 Ford Windstar, with the factory Trailer towing package. I can not find the GCWR for this vehicle. The owners manual has a GCWR of 7500 but the description of the package at various car selling sights says the the towing package is rated at 8500lbs GCWR.. Anybody know where I can find this information?

Thank You

Tracy

Old 03-17-2007, 01:20 AM
Default RE: 98 Windstar w/ factory towing package weights?

Sounds like the package (tow hitch) is rated for more than the actual vehicle. This is because the hitches also work on bigger model vehicles.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:41 PM

Thats just it, the tow packge did not come with a hitch, lol. It did come with a trans cooler, engine oil cooler, power steering cooler, wiring harness(class II) and a conventionl spare. The Package, which was an option, states it's rated at 8,500 lbs GCW. I'm not worried about the Trailer weight as that will come in around 3200, but with the family and supplies the GCW will come in around 7700-7800. Not bad if the van is rated at 8500 and I can stay below the GAW's and GVW and GTW.

Any one I can contact at Ford? The customer service line I tried 3 times and they can't find an answer for me.

I've found the Trailer towing site and the ford fleet web site but that only goes back to 2002 and that has the 3.8 with towing packge rated at 8500 as well.

Thank You again
Tracy

Old 03-17-2007, 04:28 PM

Safety says go with the lowest rating until you're sure. If you're suspension isn't made to handle the heavier weight you'll be literally dragging *** (of the van -that is). I sure wouldn't even feel safe anyhow loading that much weight in behind a minivan. There's only a huge problem though if the trailer weighs more than or near toyour van. If you have the van packed full it should be safer. If you read what I said beforecorrectly you'd already have your answer though. The Gross Combined Weight Ratio (GCWR) of the vehicle is 7500. The GCWR of the tow hitch assembly (before installation) is 8500. Your van still can't go over 7500 (even though the tow hitch unbolted and by itself can - ON ANOTHER VEHICLE RATED FOR 8500 which the hitch likely fits also). You cannot use the full weight without factory suspension modifications in the back. If you have these mod.'s you'll have a van that ridesstiffer in the back -but can then handle it. Maybe the newer (2002 and up) towing package suspension mod.'s could be fitted to your van? Perhaps you're trying to find out now if you already have the mod.'s on the rear suspension? Don't guess. Find out what they are on the newer models and see if you have something the same (if able to be seen without tools). Or drive it to a dealer and ask -they should be able to tell. You definitely have listed the accessory parts (like all the coolers), but without non-standard stiffer rear suspension I'd not go over what the manual says before checking at an authorized Ford dealer. Lots of aftermarket companies sell and market parts (hitches) to look better than they can be on your vehicle. If you go over the GCWR the Factory set you could experience dragging, brake fade, improper steering alignment (due to weight) and likely a slew of other potential problems. It could work or not.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:24 PM

The owners manual will lsit the GCVW for that year and model. As changes where made to following models the GCVW was raised. The GCVW does not change do to "Towing Package" the towing package is an option to allow the vehical to handle the additional loads applied with towing on a more regular basis. The vehical cansafely control a GCVW of 7500lbs as the manual states,however the manufacture says if you tow more than 2000lbs we require a trans cooler or we will void your warranty as mechanical damage could occur. Yourvan is not rated for over 7500lbs if the owners manual states it.Beaware that you can exceed your GVW without exceeding GCVW. Thebase model has a curb weight ofjust over 3800lbs, addA/C (rear), andother options, including hitch (40 to 60lbs), trans cooler, bigger battery and your curb weight increases say 300lbs for demonstration. Van now is 4100lbs.Then add people weight and cargo (2 adults = 400lbs ish,2 kids = 200lbs ish, cargo 70lbs per person = 280lbs) add 880lbs, total now4980lbs. The vans GVW should be about 5300lbs leaves 320lbs for tongue wieght but max trailer weight is now only 2520lbs.Take trailer at 2500lbs(total weight including trailer cargo) tongue wieght should be at a min 10% of trailer max 15%. At min it adds 250lbs to vanfor a total van GVW of5230lbs at 15% it adds375lbs for a total van GVW of 5355lbs. OR if stopped a ticket...................

Old 03-27-2007, 09:36 PM

Inshort - you can overload the van part of the combination or you can overload the trailer. The trick is to remember to overload neither one. (I'd recommend never overloading the trailer though - going down a nice incline a heavy trailer will run you all over the road). Overloading the actual van is bad too - the axles are only rated and made to support a certain amount each.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:44 PM

P.S. The short of the tonque weight is - if you load items forward the tongue will weigh more and push down - If you load items back farther the tongue will weigh less and pick up (sometimes to the point where it picks up the rear of the tow vehicle). You must have a proper balance of weight to keep both sides more stable.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:32 PM

Sorry to bug you all about this again but the time has come to see if this can work or not. OK the Trailer wieghed in at 2260 and the Van came in at 4290 with no people in it but full of gas and fluids and the likes. Bringing the total with out family and cargo to 6540, leaving 960 lbs for people and cargo before I hit the 7500 GCW. Was hoping you might take a look at the follwing sites and let me know what you think about the GCW.

Scroll down to the Option Groups/Trailer Towing Package:
http://research.cars.com/go/crp/rese...p;aff=national

Scroll down to the third section: The Most Powerful Minivan
http://www.prni.com/cgi-bin/stories....6027&EDATE=

Same as the previous story just a different site
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/d...70103/177.html

Thank You
Tracy

Old 05-03-2007, 04:04 PM

See if you locate an original owners manual, or check with service at a good ford dealer. It looks as if 8500 GCW may be correct. However, you want to be sure for safety............