Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

Removing 98 Windstar steering column shrouds

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Default Removing 98 Windstar steering column shrouds

I need to remove the upper and lower steering column shrouds on my 98 Ford Windstar, in order to replace the multi-function switch. I'm sure replacing the switch is easy enough, but I'm having trouble removing the shrouds. Two things are coming in the way. One is the ignition switch assembly cover, where the key is inserted, and the other is the lever on the left used to adjust the steering wheel up or down. There seems to be some trick to removing these things, which I'm missing.

Could anyone who knows, please tell me how? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Removing 98 Windstar steering column shrouds

The column tilt lever shaft just screws into the tilt control assy.. The lever was originally installed witha thread locker, so it may be slightly tight coming off..Should be a flattened area on the levers shankto tool/grab on to for the removal.. First,, remove the large lower instrument panel cover and reinforcement just below the column.. Then remove the tilt lever.. Remove the column shroud screws on the column underside and drop the lower cover off.. Look up at the 'bottom side' of the ignition cyllinder and you'll see a small hole.. Turn the igition to the ON position and insert a small screwdriver, punch, nail ect and push 'lightly' on the pin to release it's hold while pulling the lockset straight out.. With the column tilted down and the ignition lockset removed you can know slip the top column cover off.. May require the shifter to be pulled back or ranged down to gain enough room to slip the top cover off the gear selector.. Disconnecting the battery will help on power drain if you plan on leaving the ignition lockset removed or while replacing the multi function...

Old 11-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Default RE: Removing 98 Windstar steering column shrouds

Followed your instructions, and replaced the multi-function switch with no problems. Thanks again for your help.